Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in my dining room…

Hello and Happy Monday. So, I promised my husband that I would do my best to stop decorating our house for a little while. (Translation: I’m not supposed to buy anything). I’ll admit, that’s a bit like asking a dog not to wag its tail around here. I’m constantly rearranging things and always looking for another little treasure to add, ¬†however, this month has given me the opportunity to change up a few things around the house that I already have.

I love my dining room hutch, but I’ve never really cared for the dark wood inside. I had heard of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, but had never tried it. I figured I’d give it a try, and now I’m hooked. For those of you who don’t know, Annie Sloan is the matriarch of an incredible paint that you can use on any surface, no prep work needed. Unlike other paint which requires you to strip and sand down the piece you want to refinish, this paint requires none of that. And once you get hooked, you can really start to have fun playing around with different colors and finishes. ¬†A quick search on google images will reveal some pretty beautiful pieces, and they can all be easily replicated by you!

So here is what my cabinet looked like when I started…..

DSC_6128

DSC_6127

I chose a beautiful color called Duck Egg….

duck-egg-blue-chalk-paint

duck-egg-blue-640x640

DSC_6133

The paint is very thick, so I used a tiny bit of water to thin it out….After it dried, I applied Annie Sloan Clear Wax….

Then, I filled the cabinet with my white pottery and some coral……

DSC_6241

DSC_6190

DSC_6198

DSC_6246

DSC_6224

My dining room has a beautiful chandelier from the 1930′s…..

DSC_6212

The new paint color brings out the pattern in this fabric I have on a few chairs in my dining room.

DSC_6196

The paint is available all over the country. If you cannot find a location near you, you can have it delivered right to your door.

Have a great week.

xo Jennifer

9 Responses to Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in my dining room…

1. Barbara Pottorff says:

Love it! I do have a question though, I have lime green walls in my bathroom (by choice) and I love it. However, I’m thinking about toning them down a notch and want a bit of a white wash look. I’d like for some ofthe lime green to kind of show through. Do you think if I ‘water’ down this chalk paint I would get that affect? Suggestions?

2. Jennifer says:

Absolutely! And when you rub the wax on it after the paint dries, it brings the paint underneath up to the surface a little bit. You can watch Annie Sloan’s tutorial on youtube. It’s very helpful. Good luck!

3. Barb Molnar says:

Your dining room pieces are beautiful!! I love the color combinations. Recently I took a class on Annie Sloan paints and am also hooked…although I had only painted my walls prior to that. My question is did you only paint one coat? I have a similar hutch I have been thinking about lightening up, but it is dark green. I would like to distress so some of the green shows through and have not decided on color yet. I realize that plays a huge part in how many coats of paint to use, but I have never taken on this large (lol) of project! Thank you!

4. Jennifer says:

Hi Barb, I only did one coat. I went back and did a little bit of touching up, but it was so easy and a little paint went a long way.

5. eileen says:

Love the Duck Egg! I have that color but haven’t tried it yet but I do love the paint! I always do two coats, wax and then distress. My favorite colors are Paris Grey, Graphite and Old White.

6. Lana says:

Incredible-it is gorgeous and so inspirational!

7. Judi Sussman-Dunsay says:

Absolutely stunning!

8. Karen says:

Very impressive and beautiful! I have a maple table and chairs from the early 70′s that I am thinking would look great black. Do you recommend this paint for furniture? Any special tips?
    Many thx for your help with my home.

9. Jennifer says:

Hi Karen,
    This product was created specifically for furniture and is wonderful! If you go to the Annie Sloan website, there are tutorials on how to use it, and it’s very easy. Good luck!